Tall guard in Istanbul

Tall guard in Istanbul
Deciding which camera to pack for my trip. Bulk, quality, weight vs convenience.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Number 1 - PDX to Spain

Sorry- photos will follow when I get used to the system!

The Kindness of Strangers...  or Thank You Hannibal!

Even though the lights of Mexico City interrupted only by dark triangles created by mountain peaks or ancient temples, spread to the horizon, I was dreading the 12 hour layover preceding my flight to Madrid.  It had been one topic of discussion with Hannibal, the Dell coputer representative sitting next to me during the flight.   We walked together through immigration and to the exit where I began following the flight crew toward their hotel, the El Camino.  At the entrance to the airport Hilton, Hannibal suggested he might get a favorable rate since he often stayed there with his family.  At the check in desk, he commented that he had accumulated a ridiculous number of hotel points and that he would call to get me a room for the night- end result, a free room and a good night of sleep before continuing to Madrid.  Thanks again Hannibal!

Madrid airport-  Bouba, my friend and former guide from Mali, and his Spanish wife, Maria, met me at the airport and drove me to their apartment about 30 minutes south of Madrid.  It was exciting seeing Bouba in Spain after only having spent time with him in Mali.  In addition to experiencing daily life in a small town, I have taken the bus to Madrid to visit the Modern Art Museum, walk around the center of the city and relax in sidewalk cafes.  Saturday we drove to historic Toledo where we explored maze of narrow streets, visited the amazing cathedral and had a wonderful dinner seated under the head of a brave bull who lost his life and one ear to a skilled matador! 

Monday, Bouba and I took the bus to El Escorial, a short distance from Cerceda, their village.  Although the monastery was closed, we walked around the grounds, took photos and ate a nice dinner in a cafe overlooking the monastery.   Afterward, we walked through an exhibit of paintings of a local artist and enjoyed our conversation with him.   If only I spoke and understood Spanish!!!!

It´s Wednesday and I am in Granada!  Arrived by train last night and have a hotel room since none of the people I contacted about couchsurfing were available.  Graffiti everywhere around my hotel so I walked the streets taking photos.  I continued up narrow cobblestone streets and stairs in a neighborhood called Albaicin to a viewpoint overlooking the city and discovered an area of street art.   While taking photos I greeted a lady going to the market, and was still there when she returned.   When I told her about my interest in street art, she invited me to her house to see a book of art featuring a well known street artist from Granada, Elninodelaspinturas, and told me where to find some examples of his work.  Since I must have looked very warm, actually I was sweating under the hot sun, she asked me to have a beer, then it was lunch and conversation.   I discovered that her husband is a famous sculptor and she does engravings and book illustrations.   They live in a house that is "troglodyte"  not sure of the adjective!  as the back of the house is comprised of caves and only the front two rooms have windows and doors to the outside.   Gespacho, chicken and bread followed by a puree of frozen fruit and the coffee.  Another example of the kindness of strangers. 

I will be off soon to find more street art!  Fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment