Tall guard in Istanbul

Tall guard in Istanbul
Deciding which camera to pack for my trip. Bulk, quality, weight vs convenience.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Granada- adventures and impressions

The Alhambra with its thick imposing walls and square towers, elaborate palaces reflecting two very different cultures, formal gardens and fountains, dominates the old city and attracts droves of curious visitors from around the world.  However, it is the labyrinth of steep walkways and narrow streets, paths and alleyways, all paved with time-worn polished stones that keep me exploring day after day.  What lies around the next corner?  a fountain flowing with pure drinking water, a hidden garden, an amazing vista, another convent or monastery or maybe an ancient moorish hammam.   Just wish the locals would learn to clean up after their dogs!

My exploration is only limited by my finite amount of energy ( I must confess that I took a 2 hour siesta between sentences 3 and 4 of this entry!!!

This morning I walked along the small steam at the base of the Alhambra, stopped to look at the mega colony of feral cats that inhabit the area under an ancient arched stone bridge,  and then ventured through a partially open doorway of the monastario de san bernardo.  I found myself interrupting an intimate morning mass, one priest and seven nuns, all elderly, one of whom signaled for me to join them in the chapel.   With all eyes upon me, how could I refuse.   Jean-Paul Sartre wrote ¨No Exit¨ and Henri IV of France was quoted as saying ¨Paris is worth a mass.¨  I couldn´t turn around and leave and Granada is definitely worth a mass, so I joined them for the next hour.  Forgot my hat when I left and retrieved it later at the window where they sell sweets made at the monastery, along with a half kilo of cookies that cost me 6 euros! all handed to me through a turnstyle that prevents one from seeing the person to whom you are talking.   

Off today to have a couchsurfing experience!

1 comment:

  1. Alhambra sounds both beautiful and uncivilized. The architecture must be beyond words if the carving behind the tall guard is an example. Hope the weather is not toooo warm and humid wherever you are today. We are just plain HOT but expect a cool down for the weekend. Take care of you and have continued fun and success. Ruth

    ReplyDelete