Tall guard in Istanbul

Tall guard in Istanbul
Deciding which camera to pack for my trip. Bulk, quality, weight vs convenience.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting out of town!

Leaving for a 9 month around the world trip is not as simple as it seemed when I scheduled the flights.   Rent the house, arrange financial affairs, update vaccinations and assemble a medical kit, send for visas where required, choose a backpack, select clothes for 9 months and a variety of climates, notify credit card companies, get a new debit card, and yes, even arrange an extension for tax day.

With 220,000 miles, American Airlines allowed me to schedule a maximum of 16 flights within a 9 month period, flying business class!  Oh yeah, I will be stretching my legs on those 12 hour flights!  Departure will be August 16 and return date, May 2, 2011, with the following scheduled stops:  Portland, Dallas, Mexico City, Madrid, Johannesburg, Capetown, London, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Sydney, Melbourne, Aukland, Los Angeles, Dallas, Portland.  I will use these cities as hubs to visit surrounding areas and have already scheduled a flight from Madrid to Bamako, Mali and Casablanca, Morocco.  From Bangkok, I plan to visit Cambodia, Laos, Viet Nam and Myanmar in addition to various regions of Thailand.   Will keep you posted as I proceed.

In addition to keeping in touch with family and friends throughout the trip, my blog will be used by my grandson's sixth grade class as a social studies unit encompassing world cultures, geography and history.
Not only will I illustrate my adventures with photos, but I intend to visit schools and seek activities of 11 year olds that I can share with his class.

My grandchildren call me Papa Jon, and I have become Papa, or Papa Jon, to many of my friends and acquaintances around the world.  

Thus, ciao until next time,

Papa Jon

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to hear and see of your expeditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott Nopp here - Great article. I Love the idea of traveling like that -- doing it ... that is a big leap. As for the bedding issue - a silk or coolmax sleeping bag liner are both light and pack small (I thought a lot of hostels required them) -- they would help on some situations - on the nasty ones - just the thinking of what might be there would interfere with rest/sleep.

    Hope you have an adventure,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete